Wilkommen

I am a young, American artist who loves to travel. Currently, Im humming about in/near South Lake Tahoe, CA. Enjoy.

6.08.2012

Henri-Marie-Raymond de Toulouse-Lautrec-Monfa

I was in the library this morning looking for another Steve Martin novel (talk about a renaissance man!) and got sidetracked in the art section. I found an old book on Henri Toulouse-Lautrec, best known for his posters and drawings of dancers, performers and patrons swirling through Montmartre's Moulin Rouge in the late 1800's as well as his friendship with Vincent Van Gogh. His use of line and color make up his better compositions in a very economical, almost practical, way while also conveying a sense of subtle irony and caricature. Beautiful! Tomorrow, I'll take this book back to my studio and study his work, cold beer in hand, waiting for my gesso to dry.

















 Rue des Moulins (The Medical Inspection)
1894. Oil. 32 x 71 in.
One of my personal favorites, this painting shows to prostitutes awaiting their monthly inspections for venereal disease.



No comments:

Post a Comment